Thursday 19 March 2009

Free of disease!

You'll be pleased to know that I'm free of AIDS, TB and anything else they tested me for. Hooray! It seems my meagre amount of peeage was enough. I picked up my medical results this morning and the nurse told me everything was ok but then pointed at my blood results and circled 'white blood cells'. She said it was a bit high and I immediately developed hypochondria and asked what it meant but she said 'maybe.....you have cold?' and I started grinning with relief while coughing and spluttering 'yes I do have a cold!' like a gullible audience member at a Derek Acorah show who's just been told they may have eaten a banana in the past. So, I'm all fine. I made sure I took the school's business card with me to give them the address and phone number but no one seemed to want it. Oh well.


I went upstairs in my school to the Korean department the other day to enquire about Korean lessons and the lady I spoke to (whose name is Hana!) said I can start on 2nd of April, so I'm quite excited about that. I'll have two lessons a week and they'll be 12 -1 I think she said, so I'll have two hours between finishing the lessons and starting teaching.

Oh, want to see my walk to work? I took photos just in case you did....
I step off the bus, turn to my left and head towards the tall thin building sort of in the middle of the picture:
I always pass this statue and it was lovely to see someone almost mirroring him the day I took this:



You'd think you could be in any busy city, until you see this guy:


My rough guide doesn't tell me who he is but I'll find out. Just a city shot:




I can't really take photos at the school as there's not much to see from the outside and people will see me and think I'm weird if I take them inside. It's just one floor, basic classrooms with desks, chairs and a whiteboard and a couple of teachers' rooms which are crammed with stuff. I like it though. Simon's is all new and exciting apparently. He could post about it in his blog but he hasn't even posted one entry yet. Which means I'm winning. Woo!

6 comments:

  1. Yes you're easily winning the blog wars. Go you! And for being disease free!

    Good luck with the Korean lessons. Does 'Hana' mean 'flower' in Korean too?

    Seoul looks so grey! I'm so gonna sit next to that statue when I come to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hana means 'one' in Korean, so sometimes the kids just go 'Hannah! One! Hannah! One!' at me. Well, one kid does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hannah One Hannah One, how considerate of you to post pics of the journey to work. You are correct, we did want to see it. And it looks nice! I was thinking about journies to work the other day in fact, and how many times we must see the same old things...

    OR DO WE?

    Is that samurai statue actually one of those standy-still type people? Imagine how scary it would be if he came alive one morning.... you'll never look at him the same way now will you?

    What if that man-statue on the bench WAS ONCE A REAL MAN? What if the other man is now CURSED to turn to bronze? Hmm?

    And finally, what if that tall rocket building on the left in the last pic ACTUALLY HIDES A REAL ROCKET? It could blast off into space at any minute. Any... minute...

    Just some things to think about. Glad you don't have AIDS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe that man statue on the bench is indicating what the bench is supposed to be used for. It's a bit annoying though - he takes up half the seat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you don't know by now (I suppose you probably do, since you wrote this a long time ago), the big statue in the middle of the road is Yi Sun Sin, the famous Korean naval commander:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin

    ReplyDelete

Whatisthis?

Hi! This is my blog for our year long trip to Korea. Yes, I might have set it up to rival Simon's 'Simon and Hannah go to Korea' blog but I will actually post here.

Probably.

Anyway, hello and I hope you enjoy it!