Thursday 5 March 2009

Arrival

Sooo......took me longer to find an internet cafe than I thought. And they're all over the place too but I've been very busy. This keyboard also has this weird plastic cover on it that shifts about as I type. Not helpful.

But anyway, I'm here! I had an ok flight. The Korean air hostesses wouldn't leave us alone for the first couple of hours but I suppose I shouldn't really complain about that. The flight was fine, the food wasn't bad and Quantum of Solace was on, so I watched the first hour and then tried to sleep. We got to Seoul just before 4pm Korean time (we're 9 hours ahead here, so that'll have been about 7am on Wednesday) and I managed to find my bag and drag it to the right bus. I even made it to the right hotel (just a meeting point. I didn't stay there) and somehow got some change to use the phone. I rang the school who sent a very nervous Korean boy over to meet me. His English wasn't very good and as my Korean's even worse, I only managed to ascertain that he was part-time. No really. All he said was 'part-time'. To any question. But he was nice enough to try and drag my massively heavy bag round the corner to the school, where I met the Scottish teacher in charge and some of the lovely Korean ladies on the staff and I was taken to my flat by taxi.

I love my flat! I was expecting something tiny and unfurnished but it has two rooms and a bathroom and lots of furnishings. And as the landlord (who looks a little like a short Andy Lau) and landlady run the bedding shop downstairs, I had clean linen on my double bed. As the nervous Korean boy had brought me there, I didn't find out about the heating and hobs etc. until the landlord's daughter came up later to explain with him.

The next day, I went to the school and watched three lessons. It seemed ok. Korean kids are so cute. I wanted to pick some of them up for a cuddle but they were so quiet that it'd probably have given them a bit of a shock. Today I learned that they're only quiet at first. Arrghhh, it's China all over again, only this time I've been given guidance on what to teach!

So, today I taught my first lesson on my own. It was only circumstance that made it that way, as I watched the second lesson (there are three lessons on Monday, Wednesday and Friday but only two on Tuesday and Wednesday, although they are longer) but it was good to get stuck in straight away. They're bright little kids so hopefully I'll have a good term with them. Some of my other classes are more advanced.

None of the kids can get over how tall I am, as I'm wearing heels as well.

I haven't seen Simon yet. He won't be released from the 'compound' until Saturday. That's government training for you. He's not even sure where he is! We have been speaking in the evenings and now I know where the subway station is, I'll at least be able to go and pick him up when he does finally arrive.

Other than that, first impressions of Korea are limited, seeing as I haven't seen much of the city yet. I've really only seen Itaewon, the area I live in, which has a lot of foreigners and loads of opticians and the area around my school, which is near City Hall. Koreans are very polite, the bus is way cheaper than at home (50p one way and 40p on the way back!) and my flat has underfloor heating, so I've been sitting on the floor a lot more and finally have a reason to leave my pjs on the floor.

My flat is between two churches, which both have large crosses on their roofs that are neon red at night. There's a building opposite where I can see kids learning Tae Kwon Do. Oh and I think I bought the most expensive toilet paper by accident but hey, I'm sure I'll pick it all up eventually.

So far, my Korean extends to 'hello' and 'thank you' but I'm hoping to start learning it at my school soon.

Oh yeah, and this American guy used to live in my flat before me. Eric someone. And he's left loads of stuff behind. He's left magazines, weights, unused Christmas cards, DVDs, tea, washing powder, toiletries in the bathroom.......and then I opened the wardrobe and there was a huge suitcase stuffed in there. And I thought 'that's weird' and went to pull it out...only it was really heavy....and there was a tag with his name on it and I suddenly thought 'what if he didn't leave all his stuff behind? What if Eric is in the suitcase and then I was too afraid to look inside. I mean, it was unlikely, but what if he was? I'm ashamed to say I did sniff it but could smell no decomposing body. Not that I'd know what that was like but I'd imagine it smells bad.

Anyway, when the landlord's daughter came up, she explained that Eric was coming back for it all. And people at the school confirmed this, so I'm no longer afraid that he's still in the flat, all chopped up in his suitcase. I do have a history of paranoia in other countries!

So yes, I'm ok, I've started teaching already and there isn't a body in my flat. So all good really. Take care everyone and keep emailing/texting x

4 comments:

  1. If they'd have killed Eric and kept him in a suitcase, do you really think they'd have told you that? No, they'd have said "he's coming back for his stuff".. Just something to think about x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're really there! Not that I thought you were lying, and were in fact hiding in the church for a year to fool us all, but wow.

    What a great first blog! I can really imagine it, although being the visual person I am, I now want phototos please. Phototos.

    PO-TATOES.

    Enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favourite bit was "No really. All he said was 'part-time'. To any question" because you write just like you speak, as if you were dictating (you do it through out, but this passage is what made me really notice)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annyong ha shimnikka! How did the lessons go? Have you met any nice people yet who offered to show you round?

    Like Miles I want photos! Or an artists impression.

    ReplyDelete

Whatisthis?

Hi! This is my blog for our year long trip to Korea. Yes, I might have set it up to rival Simon's 'Simon and Hannah go to Korea' blog but I will actually post here.

Probably.

Anyway, hello and I hope you enjoy it!