Thursday 16 April 2009

Observations

Korea is the only country I've been to so far where someone wearing glasses in an advert isn't necessarily a nerd or advertising an optician. Koreans can also pull off white-framed glasses.

Chivalry died in Korea. Or was never born here. You stand up for an old lady on the bus and some guy takes your seat.

People stand right by the door on the subway, even when they're not getting off and there's plenty of room on the rest of the carriage.

It's rude to blow your nose here but not to hock up a load of spit and hurl it out.

Men fart loudly and unashamedly all the time. Sometimes, it's as if they wait for you to walk past before letting rip.

Seat-switching on buses. I watched one guy change seats five times in a ten-minute bus journey. Also, the other day, the bus driver stopped the bus and removed a giant bee for the screaming passengers. I wasn't screaming, I just moved seats. Oh no! I'm a seat-switcher!

Bus drivers here are mental.

People watch TV on their phones all the time. We were having dinner in a little place near us the other night and a woman came in with her sons and ate one-handed, watching her phone TV the whole time. You mainly see it on public transport because all you can do is sit there. But then they walk off still watching it and somehow avoid bumping into people. Having said that....

....people bash into you all the time. Mainly old women and old men.

An alarmingly large proportion of middle-aged women wear visors.

6 comments:

  1. Hah. I enjoyed reading all of that, but the last sentence made me laugh out loud.

    It was nice of the driver to stop the bus to remove a giant bee wasn't it.

    All in all, Korea sounds like a strange country. I have a big enough problem with people's appalling pavement etiquette in this country. No-one moves aside so that two people can pass on a pavement, it's disgusting. DISGUSTING! I'm always the one who has step off the kerb.

    The other day, a girl got out of a car without looking, nearly causing me and my bike to smash into her and the car door. She then waltzed merrily on her way and nearly got run over by a car, by crossing the road without looking EITHER WAY.

    Some people almost deserve to sustain street-based injuries. And some should just be smacked in the face before they leave the house.

    Gosh, that was a rant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to get you a visor when i'm out there. Just so you feel like you're fitting in.

    What's with the security words you have to type in on blogspot anyway? What the hell does "scureson" mean? They're always words that almost sound like they mean something but never do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Write more blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello hello hello! Write more blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHEM!! It's been a MONTH...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sozzers. I've done it now!

    ReplyDelete

Whatisthis?

Hi! This is my blog for our year long trip to Korea. Yes, I might have set it up to rival Simon's 'Simon and Hannah go to Korea' blog but I will actually post here.

Probably.

Anyway, hello and I hope you enjoy it!