Monday 13 April 2009

Full moon madness, more cherry blossoms, Costco and an Italian Easter Sunday

So, Friday was a bit of a weird day. It was a full moon and every single one of my three classes had something odd happen in them after breaktime.

In my first lesson, I came back after the break to find kids shrieking because there were ants all over the windowsill and back of the classroom, so someone (who may or may not be part-time) had to come in and spray anti-anty stuff all over the place.

In lesson two, I came back to find the kids complaining that it smelled like the dentist. It stank. Some kind of disinfectant smell. Another teacher came into my classroom to see if we could smell it because it was worse in his classroom (we've since found it it was some kind of worm-killing stuff being used somewhere outside) and we had to have the fan on, which blows all the students' work off their desks.

Lesson three, I was coming back to the classroom after the break and one of my students ran out, going 'Ha! Ha! Ha!' with his mouth wide open. I said 'hahaha to you too!' until I noticed his mouth was bleeding. Then he held his hand out and he had a piece of toffee with a tooth in it. I took him to the office. And got a photo. But I took it on my phone so I'll add it later! When I went back to the classroom, the kids informed me that Korean toffee was 'very very very hard'. Hmmmm.

After school, Jo-Ann, Tracy and I managed to get on the wrong bus home, so we got on another bus instead but that turned out to be the wrong one too and we ended up back where we'd started an hour later. We'd got on the number 5 (which we'd never seen before) instead of the number 3 (which we always get) and when Tracy rang information they said there was no number 5 in Seoul! Later that night she locked herself in her house by accident, although when I turned up, the door opened by itself. It was a weird day. Oh and I bought a hat in a bar.

On Saturday, Kyra took us to Samcheonggak, a beautiful little place with a restaurant (we didn't eat there) that used to only be open to government people (info here if you're interested). On the way, wandering through Seoul, we saw a lot of bandaged up trees. This tree was so ill it had an IV drip!


Here I am pointing in the direction of Moscow for no reason:


We hung around waiting for the free shuttle bus for a while and then it flew past us. Luckily, we weren't waiting at the right place, so we jogged down the road and got on with all of the other people. It took us to Samcheongguk, which was beautiful.


I like the way the cherry blossoms make the mountains look all patchy:



Hang on a second, sir. What's that t-shirt you're wearing?


After that, Kyra took us to Costco, where we finally bought food for our fridge. We also had some food there. It's so strange. You park your trolley like a car, buy food and eat it and some guy moves all the trolleys around so yours ends up near the front when you're finished.

On Sunday, we went to this Italian place Simon's been going to for the last three weeks or so. He met this cool Korean guy outside Family Mart who speaks Italian and told him where to go to get Italian food. It's this little bar at the bottom of a church and they act as a restaurant every Sunday to a handful of people. This Sunday was Easter Sunday though, so it was packed. We got there early enough to get a seat but they had to get out extra tables for people. The food was delicious.

I also bumped into a girl I'd met at Seoul Stitch and Bitch the previous Sunday, which was cool. I think we may go back to both this coming Sunday.


5 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos! And architecture! And food! Probably.

    Beautiful t-shirt Simon!

    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every blog post makes me more excited about coming to visit. Pity it will be raining on everything when i'm there.

    Miles is saving me a Zomblog t-shirt so i'll wear it when i'm in Korea too and help make you famous there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even more so when I finally get my t-shirt! I have a tenner here put aside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing says thank you like dollars in the waistband.

    ReplyDelete

Whatisthis?

Hi! This is my blog for our year long trip to Korea. Yes, I might have set it up to rival Simon's 'Simon and Hannah go to Korea' blog but I will actually post here.

Probably.

Anyway, hello and I hope you enjoy it!